History of Canossa College

Canossa College is the only Catholic three level school in San Pablo City offering elementary, high school and college education. This college is run by the Canossian Daughters of Charity, a religious congregation founded in Verona, Italy in 1808 by Marchioness Magdalene of Canossa. The Congregation was approved by Leo XII with "motu proprio" in 1828. At present, this congregation has established its apostolate in different parts of the world, in North and South America, Africa, Asia, Australia, Oceania and Europe.

The Canossian Sisters came to the Philippines in 1954 in Santa Rosa, Laguna. Upon the invitation of the late Msgr. Alejandro Olalia, Archibishop of Lipa, the Canossian Sisters came to San Pablo to run a parochial and subsidized school sponsored by the Young Ladies Association of Charity (YLAC). The formal transfer of the administration of the school to the Canossian Sisters took place in May 1955. The school was called "Our Lady of Fatima Canossian Academy" and was for high school students only. In 1957, the Sisters transferred the new school in its present site at the Lakeside Park Subdivision on a lot donated by Mr. and Mrs. Federico Azcarate.

In 1960-1961, upon the request of parents and the advice of the bishop, the Elementary Department was opened for boys and girls. In 1963-1964, the College Department was opened for students who were not able to continue their studies in Manila with BEED as its initial offering. Other courses like AB, BSC, and Junior Secretarial Courses were opened later. Additional course offering are: BS Psychology, BS Accountancy and Religious Education which is a specialization of BEED. On the other hand, the College Department was opened for men in 1986 and the High School Department for boys in 1987.

The school is presently called Canossa College in honor of the foundress of the Congregation, St. Magdalene of Canossa. Magdalene of Canossa, aptly called "a woman whose name is charity", had consecrated almost her whole lifetime to service, for love of God and neighbor. The apostolate she envisioned extended to various fields such as the school, parochial and catechetical work and assistance to the sick. These services are expressive of her thoughts that "charity is a fire that continually spread itself and seeks to embrace all."

0 comments: