San Pablo City History

San Pablo City's earliest historical record dates back to pre-Spanish times when four large barrios bounded by Mt. Makiling composed "Sampalok". In 1521, the first Spanish troops under Captain Juan de Salcedo arrived in the upland village of Sampaloc, which became a parish in 1586, and then a municipality in 1647, and was renamed "San Pablo de Los Montes" in honor of St. Paul, the First Hermit. In 1756 it was placed under the jurisdiction of Batangas Province but was returned in 1883 to Laguna. In 1899, a municipal government was established, with Inocente Martinez as Municipal President. Marcos Paulino was elected Municipal President in 1902 when the civil government was set up. From 1926 to 1940, the people of San Pablo worked for its independence from the province of Laguna. On May 7, 1940, the Charter Bill sponsored by Congressman Tomas Dizon was approved. The bill became known as the City Charter of San Pablo or Commonwealth Act No. 520. The city was inaugurated on March 30, 1941, with Dr. Potenciano Malvar as the appointed city mayor.
SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Pablo_City

0 comments: